Sunday 2 May 2010

Legs!


Troll! This is now what I think about our local heron, who I have seen 3 times this week being chased off by some very angry seagulls and a crow. How interesting thought I. I wondered if he was responsible for the frog massacre I discovered by the pond last month. All terribly upsetting - enough to hex every local cat, as I, then, presumed before dissolving into a rather prolonged weeping session. (probably over-tired,as Mother would say, nodding sagely)
It was therefore a somewhat " Euw!" moment, when on Monday, as I toured the estate, I found a lone pair if frog's legs in the bird bath! A cat would not chose to eat a frog on top of a bird bath, and so I conclude, dear Watson, that the heron is responsible. I have called him Herod and put a net over the pond.

2 comments:

  1. What trauma, tart!
    Poor frogs.
    Our little nicked-from-the-pond-next-door-but-saved-and-put-in-our-pond gold chap has gone.
    The garden is so much lighter without the willow, but the heron now has very easy access and is taking full advantage. Big chap is too much for him but we have seen him often in the morning, licking his beak and gazing longingly.
    The crows mob him too.Good job.

    And I watched the fox, who lives in the hedge in the field next door, crouching low as he/she was dive bombed by stealth crows. Just two chased the poor fox right across the field where he/she disappeared into the brambles. Only then did the birds stop circling. Very impressive.
    The lens caps are off permanently from my bins....x

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a piece on the radio yesterday about water voles eating frogs legs at the moment to keep their protein levels up during the breeding season. Not sure they are that common though and still doesn't make it a less shocking discovery! Emma
    PS Agree about Alys's wardrobe - tights and skirts at the allotment?!

    ReplyDelete